Hydropower has important benefits:
- Hydropower is a renewable and well-proven source of power generation.
- Hydroelectric power generation is one of the most cost-efficient energy which is not sensitive to fuel price fluctuations and increases.
- Hydropower improves electric grid stability and reliability.
- Within the global energy mix, hydropower is one of the lowest Greenhouse gas emitters.
- Hydropower reduces carbon emissions from the energy sector.
- Hydropower reservoirs are vitally important for water supply, irrigation and flood protection.
- Hydro turbines are tailor-made and specifically designed for each site: their output can go from less than a 1 kW to towards 1GW.
- Hydropower contributes significantly to regional economic and social development.
- Hydropower’s unique operational flexibility and storage capacity make it the most efficient and cost-effective way to support the deployment of intermittent renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power.
Copyright © 2016 HEA | HEA Homepage | Last modified: August 2016